View Single Post
Old February 5 2013, 10:08 PM   #4
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

Re: How bad is my light pollution?

Not really, perhaps there is a country valley nearby where the hills offer some shelter - try asking local astronomy societies. And yes, 3 would be noticeably better. There are filters you can buy to block the Sodium and Mercury emission lines from street lights, but if professional astronomers are having to get out of town then I guess you'll have to as well. Alternatively, lobby the local politicians to institute anti-light pollution measures -- the success of that depending on how redneck they are. A selling point might be to combine the measure with reducing carbon emissions, but it might require the powers that be to be sympathetic in the first place to environmental lobbying. If, as I suspect, Tasmania is largely dependent on hydroelectric generation, one might argue that the additional surplus could be sold to the mainland for profit.