View Single Post
Old February 5 2013, 05:44 PM   #1819
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Re: TheGodBen Revisits Deep Space Nine

DonIago wrote: View Post
I love the tone you adopted for this review.
Thanks, I'm pretty happy with how it ended up.

Paper Moon wrote: View Post
It's interesting, I think the episode does indeed say this, but I think it also presents a strong case for Laas being unreasonable in his conclusions and the Starfleeters (somewhat less so the Klingons) behaving appropriately.
I agree with that. Laas makes some valid observations, but comes to some invalid conclusions. For example, Laas not being allowed to lounge around the promenade as a cloud of fog isn't a sign of oppression. If O'Brien decided to put a bean-bag in the middle of the walkway and sat there reading a book then he'd be told to move along too. There is some discrimination of Changelings on DS9, but Laas is actively looking for discrimination and finds some even where there isn't any.

Worf'sParmach wrote: View Post
See, Kira loves Odo so much that she decides to let him go. That's not really my style of love, I come from the clingy if-you-leave-me-I'll-make-your-life-a-living-hell school of romance, but I appreciate the sentiment.
I'm with you on that one.
Yeah, it's all fun and games until you take it too far and drive your ex toward self-harm, and then live with that on your conscience for the rest of your life.

Now for some levity!

Badda-Bing, Badda-Bang (**)

O'Brien and Bashir get Vic Fontaine to sing a song about the Alamo, which apparently unlocked an easter egg in his program that replaces Vic's band with a burlesque show, thus improving the program 200%.

O'BRIEN: Maybe there's a pointer fault in the holosuite's parameter file.
Hey, that actually makes a vague semblance of sense! That's the first time in 7 years that a line of technobable doesn't sound like gibberish to me.

It turns out that Felix, the guy that has been providing Bashir with all his crazy holosuite programs, planted this surprise in Vic's program to add a little excitement to it. Not only that, but he somehow overrode the holosuite controls and prevented the program from stopping. Felix is a security risk that has messed with the normal operation of systems on a strategically vital space station, and the crew of DS9 shouldn't be treating the situation as lightly as they do. But being characters in a TV show, they decide to plan an audacious heist to save Vic from a programmer that widely overstepped his bounds.

BASHIR: Vic Fontaine's hotel's just been bought by gangsters.
SISKO: I see. When do you plan on to going back to work?
Sisko, there, directly tapping into the thinking of the audience. Until he says this:

SISKO: In 1962, the Civil Rights movement was still in its infancy. It wasn't an easy time for our people and I'm not going to pretend that it was.
"Our people" is the bit that sticks out the most. Up until this point, there have been no black people in the 24th century, just people who are black. The fact that Sisko openly refers to himself as a black person is jarring, but it does make some sense in light of Sisko's experiences as Benny Russell. As someone who experienced the sort of discrimination that black people faced around that time, it makes sense that Sisko would take personal offence to the fact that Vic's program ignores that ugly part of history. That being said, the way this was handled in the episode was ham-handed and failed to make that connection to Benny Russell. I like the idea of the scene, but it could have been executed way better.

As for the rest of the episode, there's not much to say. When it when it aired, it pissed me off considerably because it was yet another pointless episode while the show's main arcs were left hanging in the wind. But with the hindsight of knowing that those arcs will be the focus of the final 10 episodes of the series, and the knowledge that this was the show's final hurrah for fluff episodes, it's an okay episode. It also helps that I don't have to wait a week to get to the good stuff. Badda-Bing Badda-Bang is a light episode that allows the crew to come together for one last joint adventure. Except Worf, fuck that guy.

Form of... extendo-arms: 36
Form of... a drink-tray: 37
Form of... briefcase-hands: 38

Wow, Odo has really taken Laas's advice to heart.