View Single Post
Old February 5 2013, 09:35 AM   #19
Infern0
Captain

Re: I hope for more traditional space battles

Worfmonger wrote: View Post
I love the space battles in TWoK and ST'09; I think they're two takes on the same type of battle, though TWoK is limited in detail by the film spfx of the time. You're more in the action in ST'09, imho, as opposed to observing the action in TWoK. I think Undiscovered Country did a nice job with space battles, too, btw.

The DS9 battles were sorely limited by budget, so I'm willing to give them a pass.

What I hated was the battle scenes in all of the TNG movies, most particularly Nemesis. The swooping around like these gigantic ships are X-Wings did not set well with me at all.

YMMV, of course.
well they were a lot more advanced ships so better speed and maneuverability is probably to be expected.

I like the Abrams trek just fine but I don't subscribe to the same level of worship that a lot do on here namely "The Abrams way is the right way"

I PREFER the older style trek battles, where the camera is zoomed out a little more so you can see the whole ships, its slower paced so you can tell what's happening, where are the weapons hitting, what damage is being done etc.

Star Trek 11 basically threw shields out of the window, "shields, what shields" every single shot tore through everything and sent explosions and lens flare going insane, this may be excusable because the romulan vessel had 24th century tech, but this time they cant use that excuse.

here is a space battle in Abrams trek

http://www.cardassiaprimera.com.ar/S...-XI-Battle.jpg

here is a space battle in first contact

http://mimg.ugo.com/201008/55233/cut...55_480x270.jpg

[Images converted to links. Images posted inline must be hosted on your own web space. - M']

point is, I could tell what was happening in one, the other one, not so much.

the word cluster**** comes to mind.

Last edited by M'Sharak; February 5 2013 at 08:58 PM. Reason: hotlinked images
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote