View Single Post
Old February 5 2013, 05:50 AM   #19
Re: Murdoch Mysteries...

I've just finished watching the three made-for-TV movies adapting the first three Murdoch novels written by Maureen Jennings.

Overall they feel a bit more like the original books (granted I've only read the first one so far). They are a touch edgier than the subsequent television series. Peter Outerbridge as William Murdoch seems a bit stuffy at first yet slowly we get to know him and he seems a bit more like the book version of the character. I must say, though, that I didn't care at all for Colm Meaney's portrayal of Inspector Brackenreid---he comes across as a bit over-the-top and forced.

Overall it's a worthwhile viewing and it takes awhile to get into it particularly if you're more familiar with the television series. Yet after all is said and done I do prefer the series and the characters' portrayals. The series feels more energetic, more dynamic and interesting while the telefilms feel a bit more plodding. With that said I'd say I prefer the original novels better. The books are more detailed and more believably plotted and give you a better sense of setting.

Even so it has to be acknowledged that these three telefilms are what generated the interest to get the series off the ground and into production.
STAR TREK: 1964-1991, 2013-?
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote