View Single Post
Old February 5 2013, 12:21 AM   #14
Fleet Admiral
Re: Girl With the Dragon Tattoo sequel might happen without Craig

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Never thought of Craig as the money grabber.
I don't know that I blame him for trying to get more money out of Sony. Whether or not he himself (the actor) was responsible for (in large or small part) the massive success Skyfall has been financially, I don't know that I disagree that he shouldn't be given a bigger slice of the pie.

Certainly, this is how actors become successful - their name becomes a 'brand' and that 'brand' insures (or ideally hopes to insure) future box office success.

Do you honestly think an adaptation of "The Girl Who Played With Fire" would be more successful without Craig's involvement as opposed to an adaptation with him in the thing?

There is, of course, no way to really know... but he's in a perfect position to ask for that pay raise and given how much business he's been able to help Sony do over the years, I don't think we can easily qualify it as "money grabbing."

Praetor_Shinzon wrote: View Post
bigdaddy wrote: View Post
I think the fact people actually think the sequels will be made at all is too funny.

The movies will never see the light of day. And friends who have read the books say its a good thing, that the sequels are just boring.
i wouldn't say they're boring...just not as good.
I disagree. I read both "The Girl Who Played With Fire" and "The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest" this summer and couldn't put them down. I liked "Dragon Tattoo" immensely, but the sequels are just ripe for (American) cinematic adaptation.

In a perfect world, Fincher and Craig would just do the two sequels and we'd have, I hope, a fantastic trilogy.

Its all moot right now anyway. If any of you bothered to read the article and follow the link to the Hollywood Reporter article, you'd have seen this bit:

The studio has options on Craig for two sequels, but the actor is said to want a pay raise, not a cut, in the wake of Skyfall grossing $1 billion worldwide. If Sony can't bring Craig back to reprise his role as journalist Mikael Blomkvist, the sources say the studio could write the character out of the sequel. (A Craig source says negotiations have yet to commence but the actor wants to return to the role.)
So there's hope yet that Craig will forgo his pay raise and still appear, and that perhaps this is just the first stage of his trying to negotiate a better deal with Sony.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote