View Single Post
Old February 2 2013, 05:09 PM   #45
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Re: Galileo Restoration Update - Jan 2012

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
T'Bonz, your set looks a lot like the pics I took as a kid in 1974. At that time the model was displayed level and high up enough that you couldn't see the top of the saucer.
Very nice pictures, I'd also like to recommend Phil Broad's collection.
When in 1974 did you take these pictures? Wasn't the Enterprise a new attraction for the Bicentennial in 1976 (that's when I took my first pictures)?

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
The original main deflector dish and nacelle domes were lost in California somehow, and this exhibit shows the Smithsonian's first, inaccurate replacements.
The miniature arrived with some shipping damage 03-01-74 at the Smithsonian and underwent curatorial inspection by F.C. Durant III, assistant director of Astronautics of the Smithsonian Institution.

Rogay Inc. got the job to replace the missing pieces and Durant was specific that the exterior of the nacelle caps was to be frosted and the interior to be painted with amber lacquer.
Durant wasn't happy about their restoration job: "The paint used by Rogay was turkey red, the exterior is not frosted as requested."
What I really appreciate was Mr. Durant's mission goal: "We are most anxious to exhibit this model in its original studio condition as nearly as feasible."

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote