View Single Post
Old February 1 2013, 11:07 PM   #57
SamhainLikeYou
Vice Admiral

Re: Weird things we do in our sleep

I'd like to add that I sometimes wake up screaming from a nightmare. It doesn't happen very often, but still, I hate having bad dreams.

I want to share something that's somewhat related to this thread. Has anyone heard of The Great Courses, a company that specializes in selling prerecorded DVD lectures on a host of subjects? Well, recently I ordered a DVD on the science of sleep and started watching the first chapter last night. I must say the professor's lecture was very enlightening.

There's a serious health problem in America that's highly unrecognized: sleep deprivation. A good night's sleep is just as important as proper diet and exercise. While people of different ages require varying hours of sleep every night, a person who doesn't get enough sleep starts to accumulate sleep debt. There's even a term coined by experts for massive sleep debt that affects many Americans--what's referred to as the National Sleep Deficit, a clever analogy to the U.S. financial deficit.

Sleep deprivation can cause a host of health problems and has been linked to diabetes, high blood pressure, hardening of the arteries, etc. It's been linked to countless industrial accidents and disasters, including the Exxon Valdez oil spill in the late '80s. Will post more info later ...