Thread: Going Veggie
View Single Post
Old February 1 2013, 10:57 PM   #263
Nociod
Fleet Captain

Re: Going Veggie

thestrangequark wrote: View Post

-In a large pot, saute a white onion and 3 or 4 cloves of diced garlic in olive oil.
-Add a small can of sliced green chilis.
-Add a chopped chayote squash and chopped green beans, maybe green and red bell pepper (any fresh or frozen veggies, canned veggies later)
-Add freshly ground black peppercorns (it makes a difference!)
-When it's nice and browned and smelling yummy, pour in: 3-5 cans of beans (I usually do red beans, black beans, and sometimes chickpeas), 1 can diced tomatoes, 1 can corn, 1 can tomato paste, any other canned veggies you want.
-Add a dash of salt (more if your canned beans are unsalted or if you used dry beans), a splash of vinegar, a spoonful of sugar.
-Season to taste with: chili powder, cumin, crushed red pepper, cayenne pepper
-If you really want to wow them, though less diabetic friendly, add 1 bottle of beer.

Cook as long as possible over low heat. The leftovers just get better and better as they sit in the fridge.
I tried this recipe today, and it turned out really good! So thanks for the recipe

I did have to do some alterations though;
  • I don't know what a chayote squash is, so I just bought the regular green squash.
  • I was out of vinegar and sugar, so made it without
  • Thought I had some chili powder in the cupboard but turned out I didn't. So replaced chili powder with sambar powder and some tandoori spice powder.
  • Used two cans of dices tomatoes instead of one
But all in all, this dish turned out really good. Think I will make it again in the future
Nociod is offline   Reply With Quote