View Single Post
Old February 1 2013, 08:23 AM   #27
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Re: Galileo Restoration Update - Jan 2012

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
I first saw the USS Enterprise filming model at the Smithsonian in January 1984:

USS Enterprise at Smithsonian by Therin of Andor, on Flickr

In January 1992, it had just been taken off display, in order to have essential renovation in time for the September 1992 25th Anniversary celebrations, so I missed seeing it. It was decreed that it was no longer structurally-sound enough to be safely hung from the roof.

Controversially, the "weathered" paint job has been criticized as not being "screen accurate", but it certainly photographs beautifully. Here it is in January 2013, in its perspex display case:

USS Enterprise at the Smithsonian by Therin of Andor, on Flickr
I saw her about 3 times, the last around May 1990. The first, it was as in your first photo, suspended near a staircase. Even though it looked terrible, with flashing red nacelle caps, it was like visiting a shrine, and I studied it for 15 minutes (with no camera). The last time, I think it was near the gift shop and looked a bit better. I think it had a spinning engine effect. Must have been before the Miarecki restoration, or before it was completed.