View Single Post
Old February 1 2013, 03:35 AM   #26
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive
Re: Dallas - Season 2

Peacemaker wrote: View Post

This gets us to the plot with Sue Ellen. I gasped when she poured herself a drink, but I'm so glad they only sent us to the edge there.
Given the number of times the old show relied on Sue Ellen starting to drink again, I wouldn't be surprised if Linda Gray had had it added to her contract that Sue Ellen not start drinking again on the new show.

I really like the way JR is going out - he admits to being a bastard, and he's there to help his son, but at the same time, he's much more of antihero now - coming to Sue Ellen's rescue and telling her how proud he is of her now. That's not something the old JR would have done. I really hope that when he goes out he'll have done something really good for them all for a change while at the same time twisting a knife in somebody's back - preferably Judith Light, just for tickles and grins.
Yeah, it was nice seeing him do the stand-up thing. That it was for Sue Ellen's sake was even better.

Oh, and I see they are going to pit the boys' secretaries at each other. That's an old trick from the original series' playbook. Cool!
Not necessarily. J.R. had Sly cozy up with Cliff midway through the series as source for Cliff to get J.R.'s inside disinformation. By the end of the series though, Cliff was a partner at Ewing Oil, and all the established secretaries - Sly, Phyllis, Jackie, and Kendall worked together. Though, I do know there was some drama with Julie, J.R.'s first secretary (and mistress) on the show... but I don't remember much about that plot line.