View Single Post
Old January 31 2013, 04:17 PM   #2
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: DW: A big hand for the Doctor by Eoin Colfer Review Thread (Spoile

Decent story. Wrong format.

A Big Hand for the Doctor is a book written for the 8-10 range, but it's targeted at eBook readers which skew older. This book would have been perfect as a small hardcover with spot illustrations.

For what it is -- the first Doctor battles a cross between the Pakled and the Vidiians, by way of Peter Pan -- it's fun. It doesn't mesh with Doctor Who history (the first Doctor doesn't have two hearts contrary to what A Big Hand says, and if the Time Destructor didn't bring the Doctor to the brink of regeneration I'm skeptical that this adventure and its much lower stakes would), but once you get into it and accept its whimsey and its tone that doesn't matter.

I liked the characterization of the first Doctor, especially his tendency to talk to himself and narrate his adventures. Once I got my mind in the right frame for the prose, it didn't bother me the way the Guardian excerpt (which comes from the third chapter) did.

Will I read it again? Probably not. For a boring morning commute, though, it was fine.

I may wait for the omnibus dead tree edition to read the rest of the series.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote