View Single Post
Old January 30 2013, 10:35 AM   #40
macloudt
Shut up, I'm counting

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to macloudt
Re: Question for the Parents on TrekBBS

Deckerd wrote: View Post
mari wrote: View Post

OTOH, between the three of us girls, there was all sorts of physical violence. Usually for no reason more than "she looked at me funny" or "she was breathing my air".
Tell me about it. Had 2 sisters. We all had girls only as offspring. I always remember on road trips my father reaching back (he has huge hands) and grabbing a leg, any leg, and squeezing. We were usually quick off the mark to get our legs up on the seat but occasionally someone would be too slow.
It's a joke in my husband's family that he and his three brothers shared a bedroom with few problems, but the two sisters that shared a bedroom had to be separated. Fifty years on the sister who was the cause of that problem is still a troublemaker. Old habits die hard.

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
Miss Chicken wrote: View Post
I only spanked my children when they did something dangerous and they were too young to reason with.
This is my position as well. As the father of a two-month-old, I wonder if can keep it. I hope so.
Kid psychology isn't difficult. Just remember that you're smarter than him and so long as he believes it, you'll be fine. The day he realises he's smarter than you is usually around the time he wants to borrow your car, so you still have the upper hand.
Pretty much. Also, be consistent, and follow through any threats you make. The latter has worked very well for me. My kids are now teens and preteens, and threats of having prized possessions temporarily removed still work as well today as when they were toddlers because the kids know I bloody well mean it. Consistency is vital to children, otherwise they will not be able to anticipate the consequences of their actions.