View Single Post
Old January 29 2013, 10:29 PM   #29
Lance
Fleet Captain

Re: Episode of the Week: 2x01 The Child

MikeS wrote: View Post
A very obvious "Pro-choice" vibe going on here -
"Captain, do whatever you feel is necessary to protect the ship, but know this: I'm going to have this baby."
"Then it seems that the discussion is over."
This stood out to me last time I rewatched as well. Perhaps its one of those things which only becomes obvious in hindsight, but it did leave me re-evaluating the episode as being quite surprisingly topical in this sense. Shame the actual premise tends to let it down.

Jeyl wrote: View Post
Here's another fun example at how this story hates the female gender.

PULASKI: It's a male human, or in this case half-human half-Betazoid.
RIKER: Exactly the same as Deanna.
PULASKI: In every way. In fact, there is nothing to indicate that there are any genetic patterns other than hers.
That's right. Exactly like Deanna in every way.... except for the fact that it's male. WHY? Does this energy entity that lacks organic components carry a Y chromosome?
I agree that it's stupid. I wonder if it was an oversight somewhere along the way, during the rewriting process? The 1970's "Phase II" version of the script has Ilia giving birth to a female child.

Jeyl wrote: View Post
I do like this one line from Picard in regards to Wesley potentially leaving the ship.

PICARD: Mixed feelings for all of us.
I'd like to think that line implies that there are crew members who don't look at Wesley as the sweet perfect writer's pet that he is and are more than happy to see him leave the ship for good.
That turbolift exchange makes me every time. There's just something about Patrick Stewart's dry reading of that line... and the way he refuses to even make eye contact with Wesley as he says it.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote