View Single Post
Old January 29 2013, 09:14 PM   #53
USS KG5
Vice Admiral

Re: Geordi's Authority

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Then again, there is the issue of Starfleet having a different billet system than today's navies, with a greater emphasis on position rather than rank.
Well quite, the only time the two are really ever related in Trek seem to be: -

1. In "Thine Own Self" where passing a command test means an automatic third full pip.
2. The idea that the Captain of any ship gets the rank of Captain (not just the honorary title, the full four-pips).

There might be others, I can't really think of any.

Trek also seems to have the "default" rank of Lt. Cmdr for long serving average officers, though again in "Tapestry", the long-serving Picard is only a Lt. jg (which really makes no sense).

On a Galaxy-class ship, the chief of security may only have warranted a lieutenant from the get-go and the operations officer of an Intrepid-class ship may only have warranted an ensign. Another possibility is that individual ships may have a specific chain-of-command, with promotions a precursor to increased responsibilities or reassignment to another vessel with a different chain-of-command.
Yeah maybe, I'd be interested to hear the real world rationale used for everyone's ranks - Michael Okuda used to post here on-and-off once and if anyone knew he would!