View Single Post
Old January 29 2013, 07:50 PM   #111
MasterArminas
Commander

Re: The Hunted (nBSG)

After the delegates and the media had calmed down, Laura stood. “I would remind the Vice-President that the woman in question was a Cylon prisoner! Cylons are things and they have no rights!”

A murmur danced around the room between the various delegates and the media, but Gaius smiled. “Certainly she was—and is—a Cylon, Madame President. But this Cylon fell in love with a human pilot on Caprica, the very pilot who gave up his seat on a Raptor to save me—me—from certain doom. He was—he is—a pilot who showed his heroism and commitment to the ideal of giving his life if necessary to save civilians. This Cylon abandoned her people, kept him alive on Caprica despite the actions of her fellow Cylons, she fell in love with him, and when you dispatched Captain Thrace to Caprica to recover the Arrow of Apollo, Madame President, this Cylon rescued Starbuck and Helo and flew them safely home. She gave us the map to Earth, Madame President.”

Gaius paused. “And as a reward, she was thrown into the brig. Isolated, held without charges, having no recourse under the law. And when it was discovered that she was pregnant with Helo’s child—the child of a hero-pilot of the Colonial Fleet, a half-human child—you ordered her pregnancy terminated.”

“I am no apologist,” he continued as Laura started to rise again, “for the Cylons. They most assuredly deserve nothing more than destruction for their crimes. And should she have had a say in this? Perhaps not. But you also went against the wishes of the human father—that hero-pilot who nearly gave his life in exchange for my own, just as the other pilots on Galactica and Pegasus do every single day for all of us!—and you tried to murder his daughter in her mother’s womb! For shame, Madame President. For shame!”

Laura glared at Gaius and Tom Zarek smiled with glee, and the rest of the delegates looked stunned.

“If we had a Court in place, they might have been able to stop your plans—we did not. And on the orders of Admiral Adama, that hero-pilot father-to-be was taken into custody so as not to interfere with the medical procedure—the unnecessary and illegal medical procedure—that you had ordered to take his daughter’s life, Madame President. It wasn’t illegal because you had already signed your executive order into law; it was illegal because you abused your power and authority and deprived Captain Karl Agathon of the rights given him by the Articles of Colonization!” Gaius paused and he looked over the Delegates of the Quorum.

“My fellow Delegates, we must—must—for the sake of the survivors of the Colonies and our individual liberty, empanel a Court to review the decisions made by the President whoever she—or he—may be. We must examine this issue in depth, and decide if we want the government to tell young women that they cannot risk their lives serving the Colonies in the Fleet, they cannot enter certain professions, that they must be . . . baby-factories to produce the next generation to the exclusion of all else.”

“To my shame,” Gaius said, with a tear glistening in his eyes, “I stood by and almost let this extra-judicial murder of an innocent child take place. It was the Gods themselves that intervened and led me to discover that in that child’s blood were the stem cells necessary to put the President’s cancer into remission. And when she discovered that, well, she withdrew her order to terminate the pregnancy. I have not mentioned this until now, because for all her faults, Laura Roslin has always done what she has felt was right. She has led us out of the grasp of the Cylons and preserved us—and she must be applauded for that herculean effort made for all of us. But I must question the basis for some of her decisions, decisions which, on the Colonies before the attack, would have been condemned by the people and the courts.”

“I was silent for too long, my fellow Colonials,” Gaius said. “I can remain silent no longer. I only ask that you forgive me for holding my tongue until now.”

And he sat.

Laura gathered herself but before she could stand—before an almost gloating Tom Zarek could stand—Oswyn Eriku of Libran rose to his feet.

“Libran agrees with the Vice-President. I have in my possession a list of all qualified legal experts remaining in our Fleet. Delegates to the Quorum, I move that we act—today—to seat a Court to prevent such an abuse of power and privilege in the future!”

“Sagittaron seconds the motion,” Tom Zarek called out, nearly stamping over Eladio Pusasha of Scorpia’s hasty, “Seconded!”
MasterArminas is offline   Reply With Quote