View Single Post
Old January 29 2013, 07:50 PM   #23
marillion
Vice Admiral

View marillion's Twitter Profile
Re: Question for the Parents on TrekBBS

Two schools of thought at play in my house...

When I was a child and I said a bad word or lipped off, my mom would generally smack my mouth.. Not hard, mind you, just enough to let me know I was going down the wrong path with my language... Once in a great while, if I was bad, I'd get a spank on the butt.. Not multiple that I recall, just one and it was never hard enough to leave a mark..

The one day I was finally big enough to block my mom's hand as it went to slap my face was NOT a fun day for me, as my blocking of her swing only made her even madder!! That taught 'em not to pay for martial arts lessons! LOL!!

My wife, on the other hand, grew up in a house with a belt.. If she or her sibs misbehaved, they got a whack across the butt with a belt...

Fast forward to today... When our kids were small, I would, if the occassion called for it, administer a swat on the rear, mostly as an attention getter and only if the cause were serious... Spanking an already crying child is NOT a way to get them to stop....

My wife, on the other hand, has never, to my knowledge, done any spanking... The kids are both teens now, so there are no more spankings..