View Single Post
Old January 29 2013, 06:23 PM   #19
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Re: Episode of the Week: 2x01 The Child

Jeyl wrote: View Post
R. Star wrote: View Post
Though I guess if you go for the theory that Picard is his dad, then one parent was still around.
Oh, my god. Do you have any idea how much of a bast*** that would make Picard if the show actually went with that? If Picard really was Wesley's father, than not only was Jack giving all his fatherly love to someone that was not his son, but Picard is also the person responsible for getting Jack killed on the away mission. This is the kind of action I would expect from an EVIL PERSON, not the show's central hero.
Nah, you don't even have to go the evil route. That could be the foundation of a dramatic character conflict. Jack Crusher was supposed to be a good friend of Picard's. But he sleeps with his wife, gets her pregnant and they have to hide it for the sake of the marriage which Beverly puts first. Then Picard gets Jack killed on that mission, in the line of duty, not out of spite, I could see that eating at Picard for years to come. Especially since he has to see both Beverly and Wesley daily. Which would also explain why Picard is putting up with that "presumptuous child" playing on his bridge. Alternatively Beverly could just not tell Picard and he doesn't find out until halfway through the series. Both would've been great character pieces that don't require Picard to be evil. Just a man who made a mistake.