View Single Post
Old January 29 2013, 06:00 PM   #42
Dukhat
Commodore

Re: Uses of the Reliant studio model in Trek

t_smitts wrote: View Post
It's vague when they got up to registries in the 5xxxx range, but regardless, Oberths aren't combat vessels. They're science vessels and maybe some other light duties, like ferrying people between starbases (i.e. the Cochrane in "Emmisary"), or testing new technologies (the Pegasus) etc. There's no reason older ones couldn't have been upgraded with new computer systems and warp drive and there's no reason newer ones couldn't have been built with those upgrades.

The Ford thing's a bit of an exaggeration, but some designs may simply work really well, even after several decades. Starfleet may simply stick with designs when it finds a good one, something that clearly applies to the Excelsior.
Again, I agree that older ships can be upgraded (at least up to a point). And again, that wasn't my point. My original point in the Oberth essay was that the Oberth class is a bad design, and there's absolutely no reason why it should have survived for 80 years of continuous builds when other ships were being designed and built. Why didn't the Constitution class last that long? Why not the Constellation? Why not the Soyuz? They were contemporaries of the Oberth class, and much better designs, yet they were being decommissioned even before the start of the 24th century.

(Clearly the Klingons have the same attitude, given the lifespan of the BoP and battle cruiser designs, and these are ships that probably see combat far more often than 24th Century Starfleet did pre-Dominion War)
Oh, don't even get me started on Klingon designs that never change...right along with their costumes and weapons that never change either

Pretty much all of the alien ships got reused. The Ferengi were supposed to be the main badguys originally, so giving them a distinctive ship would've been considered a good investment. The Romulans actually were the main badguys. They got a great deal of use out of that Warbird design. (Perhaps a bit too much, if you ask me). All the other ones got modified and recycled as other alien ships-of-the-week on TNG and early DS9 and Voyager eps.
And again, newer Starfleet vessels could have been re-used just as much as the Ferengi, Warbird, and alien-of-the-week designs. They chose not to build them because they chose to use the movie models instead, just like they reused the BoP and K'T'inga stock footage for Klingon ships, even though they also were quite out-of-date designs for the time period.

They'll likely have a bit more time than they did when making episodes, but the question is if Paramount is willing to shell out the $ to update those battle sequences. Personally, I'd be less interested in introducing new designs than I would be in just making those battles BIGGER! More ships! More explosions! More death, destruction, and mayhem! (What a twisted little f__k I am! )
If the original CGI VFX are not up to HD standards, then CBS will have to update the effects for a BluRay release. So it's more a question of if they're going to put DS9 on BluRay at all. (Although I'm sure they will; the heavily CGI space scenes were only in the last two seasons.)

And Starfleet likely sent EVERY ship fit for combat to the front lines, given the scope of the Dominion threat.
So tons of out-of-date Excelsiors and Mirandas were fit for combat, but only a relatively few Galaxies, Nebulas, Akiras, Sabers, and Steamrunners were as well? Not to mention ZERO Ambassadors, New Orleans, Freedoms, Niagaras, Challengers, Cheyennes, and the 20-odd conjectural classes?

Indeed. A ship is a collection of those things. Which means you can probably replace most of the interior systems while still retaining the outer design.
Try using the case from a 1980's VCR to install the inner components of a 2013 BluRay player. See how that logic doesn't quite make sense?