View Single Post
Old January 29 2013, 04:50 PM   #1491
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Re: PICTURE POST II!

^He drew an Ood all on his own the other day!

Yeah, type 1 and type 2 aren't even the same disease. They are two completely different diseases with the same name. Type 1 is an autoimmune disease in which the immune system destroys the insulin-producing cells of the pancreas. Type 2 is a disease in which, due to lifestyle (poor diet, lack of exercise, overweight) OR genetics and age (some very physically fit and healthful people develop it too), usually a combination of lifestyle/genetics, the body becomes resistent to its own insulin.

Frankly, I'd be happy if they re-named type 1. It's not right that there's so much bias and blame for type 2 diabetes either, but I hate all the misinformation and assumptions that come with the 'diabetic' label. Type 1 is not caused by eating too much sugar, it doesn't mean I can't have sugar, it's not caused by being overweight, it is much more dangerous -- at least inasmuch as it can cause death pretty much instantly, as opposed to slowly through complications like type 2 -- and so on, and so on! RANT!

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote