View Single Post
Old January 29 2013, 11:16 AM   #4
MikeS
Fleet Captain

Re: Episode of the Week: 2x01 The Child

Plasma plague??????

Another episode that I have been guilty of remembering too harshly. The opening five minutes with the introduction to the crew and their new roles is nicely done, not "hitting you over the head" with it. In fact, all the goodness of this episode comes with setting up season two and our characters. The A-story of "The Child" and the B-story about the plague are quite forgettable.

A very obvious "Pro-choice" vibe going on here -
"Captain, do whatever you feel is necessary to protect the ship, but know this: I'm going to have this baby."
"Then it seems that the discussion is over."
Regarding the development and birth, I find it hard to believe that Troi would become attached to the child after such a short gestation with no pain or lasting effects. And any television birth that shows the mother on her back with her legs in the air never fails to have my wife and I screaming at the television. Having had two natural births ourselves and having studied anatomy and physiology, we always scream at the mother to get on her feet and let gravity and anatomy assist!

Regarding the HD transfer. The scenes on the bridge are very "grainy", any reason for this? I'm not saying I don't like it, I think I'm on the side of grain versus DNR, just distracted me a little. Also, the big debate over the season two sfx - not nearly as bad as I'd feared, although nowhere near season one standards.

Is this O'Brien's first appearance since Farpoint?

This episode gets mentioned again during the Destiny trilogy as the reason for Riker and Deanna's inability to conceive.