View Single Post
Old January 29 2013, 01:07 AM   #64
Random_Spock
Fleet Captain

View Random_Spock's Twitter Profile
Re: American Comedy Vs. British Comedy "TV"

Chaos Descending wrote: View Post
American and Britain each have their gems. Some British stuff sucks, and some awesome. Same with the US.
That's how I feel about both as well. Some shows like, 'Frasier' (US comedy) are really good and others aren't so much.

As for British comedies, I really like 'Keeping up Appearances' -- it really cracks me up , especially since I know people who are kind of like Hyacinth, 'As Time Goes By', 'The Vicar of Dibley' <-- really loved this show -- everyone character wise cracked me up and for the most part the writing was top notch.

Hyfen_Underskor wrote: View Post
The brits have put out duds for sure. I think there are a number of strengths they have that we don't.

1. Not afraid to use senior actors/actresses as leading characters (Waiting For God, As Time Goes By, Keeping Up Appearances), which tends to remove barriers of having to look good in every shot (Friends, and the equivalents thereof).

2. They've been able to pull off some Sci-Fi comedies (Red Dwarf, HHGTTG, and yes, I would include Doctor Who). The closest we've done that I can think of is Third Rock From The Sun, which I have a strange hunch was not that funny ( I never really watched it).

3. A show not designated as a comedy can be very funny (Doctor Who, Rumpole Of The Bailey).

4. The ability to pull off historical themes. The brits were able to produce a successful renaissance era comedy (The Black Adder). We haven't produced any comedy westerns, or pilgrim/founding father comedies. I have to admit though, that the Brits attempted another Renaissance era comedy that was a flop.

5. I don't think we have anything like Monty Python's Flying Circus.

1. Not afraid to use senior actors/actresses as leading characters (Waiting For God, As Time Goes By, Keeping Up Appearances), which tends to remove barriers of having to look good in every shot (Friends, and the equivalents thereof).
American comedy did this back in the 1980's to the 1990's with the Golden Girls (really loved that show, it's one of my all time favorite comedies). But the British have done it more often. American comedies don't have as many older people in up front roles as they do.

3. A show not designated as a comedy can be very funny (Doctor Who, Rumpole Of The Bailey).
Definitely. Inspector Morse had its funny moments, along with Inspector Lewis, A Touch of Frost did as well -- heck it's one of my favorite British shows due to it . Jack never failed at making me laugh out loud some times.