View Single Post
Old January 28 2013, 11:37 PM   #2
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Re: "Upstream Color" ‘Primer’s Shane Carruth returns!

No replies yet on this thread?!

I've only watched the trailer and it should doesn't give too much away. very interesting sound design.

from reviews about the story
James Rocchi for MSN: “If you open your perspective a little—and your feelings a lot—then it works as a singular achievement on par with, and in the same mold as, Tarkovsky‘s Solaris or Stalker—a story that uses speculative ideas and para-scientific plot points to not only tell a delicate, fascinating love story but also to inspire you to re-think your story of what love means and how it works.”

Time Out Chicago‘s A.A. Dowd notes that “while there’s no trace of pseudo-scientific shoptalk—the film communicates its most outlandish elements through purely visual means—this is unmistakably the product of the same mind that dreamt up Primer. The aversion to audience hand-holding, the disorientation tactics and the use of science fiction for its metaphoric possibilities all mark Upstream Color as a Carruth joint.”

“He is somewhat tight-lipped about what he was doing during his time away from the spotlight. He speaks of an ambitious sci-fi project called A Topiary as ‘the thing I basically wasted my whole life on.’ The frustration of that unrealized project seems to have spurred his autodidact polymath instinct to learn something new—how to market and release his own film—rather than depend on others to do things for him.
http://www.fandor.com/blog/daily-sun...upstream-color

I still would like to see a screenplay for "A Topiary" but I'm sure from Carruth it would pale to the visuals anyway since it is a sci-fi film.

for April & May's release of "Upstream Color":
The film premieres at Sundance this month and Carruth told the LA Times that he plans on self-distributing the film via “Cable VOD, iTunes, Amazon, YouTube, Hulu, Xbox, Sony Entertainment Network, VUDU and Netflix and DVD/Blu-ray” — so like, every platform there is. ‘Upstream Color’ premieres at the IFC Film Center on April 5, followed by a 20-market platform release, and then in May we’ll see it hit streaming via the platforms mentioned above.
http://screencrush.com/upstream-colo...shane-carruth/

Even though in May it will be available to stream I figure I'm going to watch it at least 3-5 times and would appreciate an audio commentary so I think I'll do the Blu-ray instead of watching i a few times with a 24-hour or 30-day rental during that period only.

It just won the Sundance U.S. Dramatic Special Jury Award for Shane Carruth & Johnny Marshall's sound design.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote