Re: What are the requirements for the joining the Federation?
C.E. Evans wrote:
[Picard] "Every member of the Federation entered as a unified world ..."
Unified world doesn't automatically mean a one world government. It could refer to a species seeing themselves as a people, a social realization.
Uh-huh. Suuuuure. And states can enter the U.S., provinces can join Canada, and lander can join the Federal Republic of Germany, as disunified polities with no clearly-defined constitutions, governments, or territories.
* * *
I would tend to presume that the general requirements for Federation Membership for a polity would include, amongst others:
- Possession of at least one entire planet as a sovereign territory
- Possession of a genuinely democratic government
- An abolition of any sort of slavery or involuntary servitude
- An abolition of caste or class systems
- A certain range of economic equality
- An abolition of institutional racism, sexism, classism, nationalism, ableism, etc.
- An abolition of poverty
- A guarantee of civil rights and liberties for all persons
- Prohibitions on "sentients" rights abuses
"Every line of serious work that I have written since 1936 has been written, directly or indirectly, against totalitarianism and for democratic Socialism, as I understand it." - George Orwell, 1946