View Single Post
Old January 28 2013, 07:16 PM   #20
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Re: Last Resort Series Finale Discussion *Spoilers Possible*

Thank god this got canceled...

we accelerated and really minimized a story that was going to play bigger in subsequent episodes with James and Tani and these prospectors that were on the island and starting to mistreat people from Tani's tribe. That was going to play out as a much bigger thing.
And the plans for the back nine, having people coming to the island looking for a new America of a kind, and having the blockade gone. Just weird to me. It shows that this show was very limited, and had no real plan from the beginning. I also like how he talks about how ABC liked the plans for the back nine. Like they would come out and say it sucks. But they ordered two extra scripts because being canceled. Ratings were on the line for a back nine, I can't help but think that if the scripts were better ABC would have went "Fine, here are 9 more". It's not like any of their other shows have been a huge success this year.

It sounds nice though that ABC didn't really fuck with the show, just let them do what they want.

[QUOTE]We talked about this in the summer, and Paul Lee was fairly open about this: this show was not an ideal fit for ABC's brand. Given all that, is there anything you could have done with the show forget about quality for a second, but in terms of making it fit in more with the brand to maybe make it more successful?

We talked about this in the summer, and Paul Lee was fairly open about this: this show was not an ideal fit for ABC's brand. Given all that, is there anything you could have done with the show forget about quality for a second, but in terms of making it fit in more with the brand to maybe make it more successful?

Shawn Ryan: Probably. But nothing that I could have lived with creatively. In retrospect, probably the thing I could have done was sell it to NBC and have them air it after "The Voice."
At least he has a sense of humour.

I'm loving this interview! He started to like the show more when the rest of us started giving up on it! I think this is why the show had no future!
I think we struggled a little bit in the first couple of episodes after the pilot to find a strong, simple throughline for the story. I liked those first couple of episodes, but I didn't love 'em. I felt like we really got into a groove starting around episode 5.
Yes ABC really loved the show... That's why they didn't bother moving it...
that we had a network that really loved the show Paul Lee, creatively, really loved the show, and so did his execs, and we were on time and we were on budget, so we had a lot of goodwill over there. ABC wasn't looking to get rid of us, and Paul was a little heartbroken that America didn't discover it. I knew things were dire early on, and I just kept working and controlling what I could control.
I miss Chicago Code.

Great interview, thanks for posting.