View Single Post
Old January 27 2013, 11:57 PM   #9
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Re: What are the requirements for the joining the Federation?

T'Girl wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
[Picard]"Every member of the Federation entered as a unified world ..."
Unified world doesn't automatically mean a one world government. It could refer to a species seeing themselves as a people, a social realization.
Well, when there's a specific reference to a unified world, I think they mean a unified world rather than one that isn't.

Public awareness and acceptance of other starfaring societies
Being able to intellectually conceptualize that other species exist would be important.

I don't believe that having a indigiously created warp drive would be a factor (it would force the issue on first contact), a civilization that was culturally and socially mature (in the eyes of the Federation Membership) but lacked a indigenous warp drive might still be asked to join, they could alway simply buy a engine from someone.

The requirements would include a desire to join the Federation, that being a part of the Federation would bring benefit that simply having a relationship with it wouldn't provide.
I think the existence of a FTL drive is the general yardstick that Starfleet uses to determine a fledgling civilization's readiness to join the greater galactic community for first contact purposes, but it would already be a fait accompli for those seeking Federation membership.