View Single Post
Old January 27 2013, 10:36 PM   #90
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Re: Animated Series Blu-Ray Plans

Metryq wrote: View Post
I think I would have gladly tossed continuity aside in the case of the environment suits. The design from TOS was the ugliest thing I'd ever seen. What the heck were they thinking with that helmet?It was like horse blinders on the sides and two or three times as tall as necessary.
Let's remember that the series aired during the height of the space race. Audiences were well aware what a real NASA EVA suit looked like, so the producers had to go for an exotic look.

I think the tall helmet and the silver suit were deliberately designed to evoke allusions to robots. After all, in zero gravity and space your movement becomes different, so I think the design was rather good than bad (maybe in real life the "horse blinders" would have shiffted position depending on your eye movement).

However, the name tags were somewhat odd. In case you got lost or separated, someone else finding your body would at least be able to identify you by your name.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote