View Single Post
Old January 27 2013, 06:44 PM   #448
Mach5
Rear Admiral

Re: Star Wars The Clone Wars Season Five News and Discussion

Christopher wrote: View Post
Mach5 wrote: View Post
Skywalker is hardly silly.
Maybe not to you, having grown up with it. Granted, I was only nine when Star Wars came out in '77, but I still found "Skywalker" to be kind of a goofy character name.
It's not about having grown up with it, it's about the fact that I'm used to hearing freakier names in real life. My English teacher at the university had a first name more ridiculous than most SW characters (I'm not gonna post it here, but trust me, I'm not making it up).

Don't get me wrong, I do think "Savage Oppress" is one of the weaker character names they've come up with. I just don't have very high expectations of SW in general, and I think it can be best appreciated without high expectations.
I couldn't agree more. This is why I never hated TMP. As much as I acknowledge its flaws, I enjoyed it for what it was because I never expected it to be an outstanding piece of cinema, let alone the second coming so many were praying for.

Many characters, going as far back as Sherlock Holmes, have been resurrected after authors tried to make sure they were "DEFINITELY done for."
Sherlock Holmes might not be the best of examples because A.C. Doyle always considered himself a serious author and thought these stories, which he wrote for money and money alone, were beneath him. He killed Holmes off to free himself of him, but ended up resurrecting him after being offered an obscene amount of money to do so.

Aw God, now you're just summoning Gaith.
I don't know what that means.
Lucky you.

Last edited by Mach5; January 27 2013 at 10:11 PM.
Mach5 is offline   Reply With Quote