View Single Post
Old January 27 2013, 01:55 AM   #14
Christopher
Writer

Re: Theatrically Released Animated Superhero Movies

I'm not sure I'd agree that The Incredibles is aimed mainly at kids, given how much lethal violence it contained, and given how much nostalgia for '60s spy movies and pop culture drove its designs, music, etc.

Besides, how is that a factor here? We're talking about comic-book superheroes. Lots of superhero adaptations are family viewing suitable for children. Heck, believe it or not, there was once a time when the actual comics were suitable for children. Not to mention that most animated films in the US are presumed to be targeted at children. So if we're looking for reasons why studios aren't interested in releasing animated superhero films theatrically, I don't see why the age of the target audience would be a factor in explaining that.

And it's not as if there aren't comic-book superheroes who are deconstructions to one degree or another, or who tend toward comedy. Why not a CG-animated Plastic Man movie, say? Or a more authentic version of Howard the Duck? Or a feature version of The Tick?

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote