View Single Post
Old January 26 2013, 01:19 AM   #19
DanGovier
Ensign

View DanGovier's Twitter Profile
Re: Ultimate Minecraft Full Size 1701-A Project

I've taken a break from detail recently to focus on final scale. This has largely come about because I've had issues fitting various on-screen sets into the dimensions of the outer hull. From what I've read on this forum that seems to be a common problem

I also have some issues with Minecraft's block size. Each block is supposed to be 1 metre cubed, but if I scale my model to the canon dimension of 305 metres long it looks like this...

For a start you only get 6 usable decks in the saucer. Granted the 1m thick floors are a contributing factor, but it's still way too squished...

(The red blobs are person-sized)

It just doesn't work, the Bridge is ridiculously small...

So, rather than focusing on the canon dimensions I will instead focus on fitting in the appropriate amount of decks. As such, and in order to fit two full height decks in the rim of the saucer, the model needs to be 478 blocks long...

The general Bridge dimensions also look a lot more reasonable at this scale...

The challenge now though is fitting in all the cabling for the lighting and other bits and pieces. Thankfully, the Redpower addon does allow you to run power cables through 'frames', and I reckon it will work out ok...

What I like about using the Redpower frames to construct the decks is the little bit of authenticity it brings to the build. Anyone attempting to build this beast for real would undoubtedly have to start with a big metal frame... and that's exactly what I'm doing