Old January 25 2013, 03:46 PM   #18
Cap'n Claus
Rear Admiral

Re: FAULTY - the two worst TOS remastering mistakes

Mister Atoz wrote: View Post
boobatuba wrote: View Post
BoredShipCapt'n wrote: View Post
^
Perhaps, but choosing to make this change is a bit of an intrusion by the "restorationist" into the role of the writer or director, because altering the subject of the eyeline-match shot alters the narrative, however slightly.
A bit of an intrusion, sure. I'll agree with that completely.

A "mistake"? No, I won't go that far.
Hmmm, interesting discussion! Well, you're entitled to your opinion (and your avatar) Boobatuba, but the remastering team had no right to so significantly change the meaning and impact of that cut. The music score from genius Sol Kaplan tells you exactly what's supposed to be happening -- WHAM!!!! In a microsecond we are whacked by the visual snapshot of the Enterprise at the maw of the cone.

The remastering denies the visual impact of that cut, and instead puts "video static" where there was none before!!! Call me a purist if you must, but that's some pretty major tampering.

regards

~ Mr Atoz
I agree, Atoz.

Sorry, but if you change something that was obvious and clear into something that requires fans to come up with a cover, then it's a mistake. Without showing the screen coming up and shorting out again, then it's just fanwank. The original version had the screen come to life and then Kirk saw the image to give him the reaction. There's no time for it to short out and come back. It would have come up too quickly the first time for Kirk to really process what he's seeing to generate that response.

About a year ago, I made a list on here of all the Doomsday Machine new effects "errors." This was one of the biggest. Others could be open to interpretation, but this one really isn't.

The other large bit was that I didn't feel the Enterprise would have been towing the Constellation at the start of Act II. There was no time; Kirk never gave the order, he hadn't even started to "get her ready." There was also no reaction to suddenly having the beam cut off; no mention of it nor any reaction to the sudden course change (since they fall over every time there's something big happening). Spock was maintaining distance, but was he dragging the Constellation along or moving off to distract the thing from the wrecked ship?

Last edited by Cap'n Claus; January 25 2013 at 04:03 PM.
Cap'n Claus is offline   Reply With Quote