View Single Post
Old January 25 2013, 03:27 PM   #31
Jeyl
Commodore

Re: Episode of the Week: The Neutral Zone

Yeah, but this episode doesn't want to dwell on Romulans or outposts. It wants to dive deep into that good old human condition.

Picard: Here's what I propose. You can't stay on the Enterprise, but I have arranged for us to rendezvous with the USS Charleston, bound for Earth. They will deliver you there.

Lol. This sounds less like a proposition and more like a sentence. Aren't propositions supposed to have the option to agree or disagree with what ever was proposed?

Ralph: Then what will happen to us? There's no trace of my money. My office is gone. What will I do? How will I live?
Picard: This is the twenty fourth century. Material needs no longer exist.
Ralph: Then what's the challenge?
Picard: The challenge, Mister Offenhouse, is to improve yourself. To enrich yourself. Enjoy it.

Can the same be said about the Vulcans? Klingons? Romulans? Ferengi? Betazoids? Andorians? Cardassians? Bajorans? Tholians? Androids? OR HUMANS? Why doesn't Picard recommend a different race or society that would fit Ralph's personality? I'm sure his trade expertise would be a value to the Ferengi and other words that have trade and currency. But no, just because Ralph is human, he must adhere to the new human ways whether he wants to or not.

So the episode is over and we can finally end the first season of the TNG era with another condescending remark

Riker: It's a pity we can't take them ourselves. Having them on board is like a visit from the past.
Picard: That would take us in the wrong direction. Our mission is to go forward, and it's just begun.

Geezos cripes. It's one thing to openly mock 20th century humans and preach about how infantile they are and how awesome humans of the 24th century have become, it's another to paint them as a 'wrong direction' especially when the first officer considers those three humans as signs that we could never have reached the 20th century.

And this whole "wrong direction" thing regarding our past? Screw you Picard. The past can enlightening and educational to those who seek to understand it. People have sacrificed, cured diseases, sought peace with enemy nations, accomplished what many thought were impossible, and you don't give a crap about it. I'm almost scared to imagine what Picard would think of all the war memorials dedicated to the men and women who gave their lives in the line of duty. Actually, I have a good idea.

Picard: Barbaric, infantile costume wearing savages.

Like unto angels and gods indeed Picard.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote