View Single Post
Old January 25 2013, 10:36 AM   #10
boobatuba
Rear Admiral

Re: FAULTY - the two worst TOS remastering mistakes

Mister Atoz wrote: View Post
Dear Boobatuba ~

You can pretend anything you like in terms of what you think Kirk sees on the screen, but the original version has much more impact because it cuts from Kirk looking at the screen in astonishment -- to the screen showing clearly what is happening with the Enterprise in imminent danger. In the new version, the whole thing is fuzzy, mushy, unclear. The new version makes it seem like he's saying "What the devil is going on?" in response to a fuzzy, non-working screen display!

For a first time viewer of the ep, the whole meaning of the edit has dramatically changed. It's a pretty important cut, too, because it leads up to Kirk ordering Spock to relieve Decker of command.

regards

~ Mr Atoz
I don't disagree that the scene is better before the change in what the viewscreen shows. But that's far from it being a "mistake," which is what you're alleging. It's just a different interpretation.

And, seriously? The few seconds of the viewscreen being fuzzy makes it harder to believe that Kirk would call the Enterprise to find out what's going on and reprimand Decker for putting his ship in danger when he finds out? Umm...he still sees that, regardless of if it's immediately or in a few seconds.

Is it really so hard to imagine that he says "what the devil's going on" because he makes something out briefly before the screen finally kicks in fully repaired? Why does he say, "Yes, I think..."? Could it possibly be that he's making some adjustments? Could he see the sensor readings of the Enterprise and machine in close proximity on some control panel and then look up to confirm the readings? I think you're picking one too many nits, here.