View Single Post
Old January 25 2013, 04:04 AM   #125
Nagisa Furukawa
Commander

Re: Abrams Directing Star Wars

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Yeah, yeah. That doesn't mean deciding to spend 150 million dollars on a movie in a given year just because it's a birthday/anniversary what-have-you, when other business decisions make more sense.

You're selling something to a dedicated fan base you can leverage an anniversary - you're selling it to a big audience with no sentimental attachment to it, as is necessary for films as expensive as the new Trek movies, that kind of thing means a lot less.
As I said, this year, Doctor Who is getting a lot of mileage out of its "50th!!!!" celebration. You think that's just for the hardcore fanatics?? To the general public, "anniversary," especially something like the 50th, is synonymous with "special." For the casual viewer who vaguely remembers TNG on syndication and distinctly remembers enjoying the '09 film, a Trek film promoted as one for the "50th anniversary" says, "They're planning something special, I should probably see what's up," even if they have no sentimental attachment.

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Damn straight - not just irrelevant, but a good thing. Need to break a few eggs.
Can you go through one post without insulting other fans?