View Single Post
Old January 25 2013, 03:54 AM   #122
YARN
Fleet Captain

Re: Abrams Directing Star Wars

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
As a Trekkie, I never felt excluded by what he said. Maybe the wording could have been different, but at no point did I feel like was saying "Trek fans won't like this."

Would it have been better if he said "I'm not only making this movie for Trek fans"? There, now Trek fans are still included. It was an interview. People say things. Do you know every single word that is going to come out of your mouth every time someone asks you a question?
He's said it more than once over a span of several years and it is part of his general shtick about how he is an outsider and was a Star Wars fan as a kid (his quality assurance that as an "outsider" he will not ruin it by going Trekkie on the wide audience). It's not that big a deal, but it would be nice not to read these words again when trying to get the inside scoop on nu-Trek.

CorporalClegg wrote:
He is neither required nor obligated to say anything of the sort.
Legally obligated? No. But it would be nice to be more rhetorically sensitive to the entire fan base.

CorporalClegg wrote:
Star Trek fans needed to hear it. Star Wars fans do not.
What??? He didn't say it for the benefit of Trek fans, but prospective new fans.

Why would Trek fans "need" to hear this? Why wouldn't Star Wars fans?

What a strangely punitive attitude.
YARN is offline   Reply With Quote