View Single Post
Old January 25 2013, 03:45 AM   #113
YARN
Fleet Captain

Re: Abrams Directing Star Wars

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
YARN wrote: View Post
M'Sharak wrote: View Post
You only missed that joke by about 80 posts.
Hey, M'Sharak, how have you been?

I wasn't joking. I wonder if he'll say it. It's something you shouldn't say to any fan base, but if he does, I'll at least have to give him kudos for not being inconsistent.

Now he's a Star Wars fan and SW has a much bigger fan base and is more iconic, so it will be interesting see if he plays this card or not.
You know, I'll jump up and down any opportunity to bad mouth Abrams (you know I will), but the "Not made for fans" comment is the proper approach. After all, if you want your movie to suceed you can't make it for the fans. It's too narrow an audience to get any real success.

Granted, Abrams needs to learn to respect his fans better than he does, but this comment is one thing he has done right.
I hear you, but two points in reply

1. How you say it -- you don't have to say it is NOT made for fans. Rather, you say it is made for fans and non fans alike (i.e., "fun for the whole family).

2. When you say it -- when you're rebooting the franchise and worried about the larger audience in 2009, I can see the need to say it. After you first film has made gobs of money and the public is now OK with Trek films, you don't need to say it. The public has seen and approve. No need to reassure them in way that leaves Trekkies feel excluded.
YARN is offline   Reply With Quote