View Single Post
Old January 25 2013, 03:42 AM   #112
Nagisa Furukawa
Commander

Re: Abrams Directing Star Wars

YARN wrote: View Post
He's probably a better fit for Star Wars than Star Trek.
Indeed; this news just makes me more pissed he did Trek in the first place than ever. I'm not a particularly big SW fan, but good for Abrams for making the film he already wanted to make; it's just a shame he had to turn another franchise into what he wanted all along in order to get there.

BTW those thinking he'll still direct Trek 3 are delusional. I do think there's a good chance we could get a great Trek 3 from another director out of this... but I could equally see Abrams saying "No, no, I ain't abandoning Trek! I'll do it! Well... maybe not. But don't make another one quite yet, Paramount! I'll... produce it! Yeah, just as soon as I'm done with SW." Then another SW. Then something else. The 50th anniversary is skipped. Trek 3 moves further and further away until... poof, the franchise had died once again.

Despite the '09 film's success, it still took 4 years to get the ball rolling again due to Abrams and Bad Robot wanting to do other things. This could very well be that magnified; if Abrams and Bad Robot still say they want to be involved but are intertwined with SW for the immediate future, I could easily see a scenario where, despite how successful Into Darkness is, Trek 3 doesn't happen or it's a very long time before it does.