View Single Post
Old January 25 2013, 03:12 AM   #27
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Re: Has your perception of Trek changed in the last 10 years?

Nerys Ghemor wrote: View Post
When I was little I bought the Federation's propaganda--but as I got older, I came to see the less pleasant side of what the Federation had really become...its hypocrisy, its darker side. As a result, I would say I don't really enjoy all of the series anymore, and am mainly focused on Deep Space Nine, because it did such a good job of deconstructing a lot of what I think just wasn't realistic about Star Trek's vision of humanity--yet without turning into a completely bleak, hopeless nuBSG. I think it had just about the right balance to make it believable yet still something you could really engage emotionally with, without wearing you out.
Uh, its not real. There is no "Federation" or "Federation propaganda". What it has become, be it unpleasant, dark or hypocritical, is from what writer/producers have done. Oddly enough, to many, DS9 is the darkest and most unpleasant of the Treks.

Treks vision of humanity is pretty broad. Depends on which series/episode you watch.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote