View Single Post
Old January 24 2013, 04:48 PM   #69
Metryq
Fleet Captain

Re: Animated Series Blu-Ray Plans

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
do you seriously consider these TAS "space suits" to be "art"?
The personal force field, perhaps semi-permeable, can be found elsewhere in science fiction, and the simple halo does look "better" than the suits used in TOS. Are they art? Consider my definition above, then remember where the transporter came from—too expensive in production dollars and screen time to "land" the ship every week, so an alternative was needed. Out of that compromise came stories like "The Enemy Within" and many other variations on the concept (such as Trelane's technology).

Thus, the force field environment suits were a cost-saving "compromise," yet also provided options to the story writers. I don't have the entire TAS on hand, but didn't Kirk "protect" the helm console in "Beyond the Farthest Star" with one of those force field belts? What happens to that story if New and Improved™ CGI animation favors the "circulatory system" suits from TOS with the screen mesh helmets? Why weren't bumpy foreheads and studded '80s biker gang uniforms added to all the Klingons in TOS-R? Match-move CGI is easily up to the task...

Christopher wrote: View Post
While it's fair to say that a lot of people in the industry found Filmation to be a bargain-basement studio in a lot of ways, there were also things it was praised for, and their lush background paintings were one of them.
The backgrounds are good, but "best in the business"? Perhaps it would be better to qualify that statement with "among made-for-TV animations of the '70s." Otherwise you are pitting Filmation up against Disney, the novel and lasting technical creations of Max Fleischer, and even later artists such as Kazuo Oga.