View Single Post
Old January 24 2013, 03:55 PM   #3027
intrinsical
Fleet Captain

Re: Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

Noname Given wrote: View Post
Actually, not really in that none of those first generation MMOs had tutorials per se (some did add actual tutorials later in their lifecycle) - and with those, the reason you stayed in the 'newbie area' until you reached a certain level, was because if you ventured into a higher level area, a MOB near the zone in point would insta-kill you. And those games had tangible death penalties like loss of XP (usually a few hours worth), so you REALLY wanted to avoid death.

If you want to know what changed the MMO market to the WAY more casual-friendly/non-restrictive model; it was the fact that:

- Blizzard did a study that showed lees then 10% of their playerbase ever made use of end game raid content (imncluding the content that required players to unlock access to said Raid areas); and further less then 2% fully completed/finished the Raid content fully.

So, they started catering more to the 90%; and saw a boost in subs and retention; and other MMO developers, seeing this trend, followed suit.

That's why now, in any MMO, not only is there a 'hold my hand' tutorial, less locked content, no real death penalty - and of the 'locked Raid' content; the stuff needed to unlock access and progress through it is WAY lower. The few attempts made to 'bring back' the old 'EQ' style game (one notable one was Vanguard: Saga of Heroes) have ultimately (and V:SoH just did as well) either failed hard; or retooled content to current MMO market trends. (Even 'EvE Online' has taken steps to make elements of their game 'less harsh' - and it honestly remains one of the few 'old school'/'hardcore' MMOs (although it's really PvP based with little PvE at all) still around.)
V:SoH isn't a good example. I was a play-tester since its 3rd alpha stage all the way till launch day about 3 years later. I knew most of the devs and spoke to them regularly while they were developing the game. V:SoH failed not because of locked content or any design issues. It failed due to Brad McQuaid being a heavy pot user and half the senior management team quitting in disgust, leaving only junior devs with little experience running the show. The game launched with unbalanced spells, powers, and there really was only one area that I felt was up-to-par and fun to play.

Last edited by intrinsical; January 24 2013 at 04:20 PM.
intrinsical is offline   Reply With Quote