View Single Post
Old January 24 2013, 03:12 PM   #151
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Re: Now That John Logan Has Proven Himself, What Went Wrong With Nemes

GalaxyX wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Australis wrote: View Post
I could stand to hear some more about this. I was always under the impression it was Logan's script that was the problem. I must rummage around for one
Nah, adding more TNG moments wouldn't change anything about the stupid rest of the film.
The entire film felt exactly like a funeral. The cast all seemed tired out, and the story was a real letdown at the end.

The story as is needed to end on a more upbeat note. Even TWOK ended up hopeful and upbeat.
That's what I always thought about the film as well. And it's even intentional. The DVD commentary talks about how Baird wanted Jerry Goldsmith to make the score sad and depressing. The cast was tired, lighting is mostly dark, the story is depressing, Patrick Stewart obviously has a cold in most scenes...

As a result, people walked out of the film feeling (subconsciously) depressed. Most people didn't have a good time watching the film. And I don't think that's the proper way to make the money at the box office.

As a contrast, look at The Undiscovered Country. That's how how make a film about a retiring crew going out with a triumphant bang.

Nemesis would have needed a whole different structure and a different attitude. One major thing would have been, in my opinion, to put the wedding and Riker's promotion to Captain at the end of the film. A final shot of the Enterprise and the Titan leaving orbit in two different directions, with upbeat music. Something like that. Instead, we get a shot of a destroyed Enterprise in a drydock.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote