View Single Post
Old January 23 2013, 10:10 PM   #30
Christopher
Writer

Re: Is the NX 01 one of the better ships (aesthetically)?

at Quark's wrote: View Post
The only 'complaint' I have is that the NX-01 looks too 'beatiful' for its era. It's the 2150's -- in-universe, I would expect something more crude, like a deadalus- class design -- but of course, had Archer's enterprise been of such a design, the tv-series wouldn't have sold well ...
I doubt very much that a starship design from 140 years in our future would look at all "crude" to modern eyes. NX-01 does indeed look less refined in a lot of ways -- I mentioned the details like the handholds in case of gravity failure and the cooling fans on the consoles, and there are lots of other details that evoke a NASA-style feel, something closer to the present day than the designs from "later" (i.e. earlier) series that seem more minimalist and fanciful, more removed from present-day designs. But there's no reason something closer to the present has to look crude and clunky. There's plenty of elegance in modern aerospace designs. After all, it's not the 1950s anymore.

Besides, form doesn't always reflect function. Some of it is simple aesthetics. Modern smartphones and tablets and the like look a lot simpler than designs from 2-3 decades ago -- just these solid black slabs with little or nothing in the way of visible buttons, status lights, antennae, ports, or what-have-you. Things like stereos and DVD players today have very simple, minimalist displays that convey a lot less information than the VCRs and CD players I had 20 years ago. So sometimes it's the later designs that look more simplified and basic.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote