View Single Post
Old January 23 2013, 09:39 PM   #68
Jackson_Roykirk
Commodore

Re: Abrams: Expect To Cry

Shazam! wrote: View Post
...Now we get to see how they became those characters only they aren't those characters, they're alternate universe versions...
Exactly my point.

I think the fact that I see AbramsTrek as mostly a reboot makes me able to feel connections with ST2009's characters that are totally separate with the connections I feel for the TOS characters.

I cared about what happened to Shatner's Kirk and Nimoy's Spock...AND I care what happens to Pine's Kirk and Quinto's Spock. However, I don't relate Pine's Kirk to Shatner's Kirk (nor do I the two Spocks). Of course I realize that Pine is "Kirk", just like Shatner was "Kirk", and I know what the idea of "Kirk" is supposed to be in the overall mythology known as "Star Trek", but I can still keep separate the specificities of the two versions.

...That is to say, I can have a memory of everything TOS Kirk went through as the character grew and developed over the years and still care about how Abrams' re-imagined version of Kirk may also grow and develop.

I still don't understand why caring about TOS Kirk means I can't care about the different things that may happen to this different AbramsTrek Kirk. This may sound like a paradox, but I can separate the two specific interpretations of the character while still knowing they are generally the same character.

I mean, these characters are works of fiction that are virtually in the public domain (although I mean figuratively, not legally). Different interpretations of the same character can enhance the overall mythology/establishment known as "Star Trek". The character of Kirk has a certain catalogue of personality traits, and the character is hanging out there for future story writers to use. I don't care about the specific history of the character, as long as the character continues to have those traits.

...With shoes that cut, and eyes that burn like cigarettes
With fingernails that shine like justice and a voice that is dark like tinted glass...

Last edited by Jackson_Roykirk; January 23 2013 at 09:53 PM.
Jackson_Roykirk is offline   Reply With Quote