View Single Post
Old January 23 2013, 08:15 PM   #52
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Re: Abrams: Expect To Cry

Jackson_Roykirk wrote: View Post
Explain to me how, when watching the original Star Wars for the first time, people cared about what happened to Luke, Leia, and Han, even though they knew nothing about those characters when the movie started.
Right. We knew nothing about them. So watching them grow was fun and surprising.

We do, however, already know all about Spock, Kirk, McCoy etc after having seen and read countless stories featuring those guys. Now we get to see how they became those characters only they aren't those characters, they're alternate universe versions. It's like rebooting Spider-Man with Ben Reilly.

If we imagine for a moment that ST2009 was the first Star Trek story ever, would you not care about the Kirk, Spock, et al. portrayed in the film?
Same film, but Star Trek had never existed and this was a new franchise? Would I care about them then? Possibly. But no more so than any other action movie franchise character and I can't say I'm in any hurry to read a novel featuring say, Jack Traven from Speed or something...

..and, by the way, when I watch TNG: Parallels, and I really think about it and get myself into the story, I do feel a bit bad for "Shabby Riker" who got "blowed up". Poor guy.
Good for you.
Shazam! is online now   Reply With Quote