View Single Post
Old January 22 2013, 11:10 PM   #24
Jackson_Roykirk
Commodore

Re: Abrams: Expect To Cry

Skywalker wrote: View Post
Jackson_Roykirk wrote: View Post
..."Spock is a logical man of cold reason who is run by laws, regulations and prescriptions. Kirk is a guttural, by-the-heart, instinctive and impulsive guy. Those two ways of looking at the world are central to these characters and their journey.”
What about the moral side (i.e., McCoy)?
I don't really think the concept of the Big Three in TOS exists in these movies. To me it seems more like it's now just a Big Two with Kirk and Spock, and then there's everyone else.
...which is a shame.

I generally liked ST2009, but I always found that triumvirate to be a great part of TOS...
...rather than having ONE main character go through the mental exercise of considering all sides of a situation -- which would require either (1) having the audience hear that character's thoughts so we can be privy to his thought process, or (2) having that character to talk to himself and voice his thoughts. Both of those options are clunky and trite story-telling devices.

The genius solution is to have three main characters all discuss/argue a situation from the three sides (action/intellect/moral), each generally taking one of the three sides.
It worked very well for TOS, I thought. I missed that in ST2009, and was sort of expecting it.

...With shoes that cut, and eyes that burn like cigarettes
With fingernails that shine like justice and a voice that is dark like tinted glass...

Last edited by Jackson_Roykirk; January 23 2013 at 05:03 AM.
Jackson_Roykirk is offline   Reply With Quote