View Single Post
Old January 22 2013, 09:03 PM   #6
J.T.B.
Commodore

Re: AVQ&A feat. Trek BBS #1: Favorite musical sequences in non-musical

The best musical-non-musical director is John Ford, I think. So many good musical moments, but for me two that really stand out:

"Marcheta" in They Were Expendable. If you don't think John Wayne can make you choke up, watch this movie. The scene of him hearing this song at a dispirited, beaten-down low point of the war and remembering it from happier times -- earlier in the movie, earlier in the world -- is pretty powerful. I can only imagine what it was like to see it in 1945.

"I'll Take You Home Again Kathleen" in Rio Grande. The John Wayne-Maureen O'Hara chemistry is born. Ken Curtis's pure tenor and the Sons of the Pioneers harmonies may have given an added movie-record "cross-promotion" benefit, but rarely have I seen the lyrics of an existing song used so effectively for a movie's narrative

Also:

"It Had to Be You" in Annie Hall. Not only did it showcase Diane Keaton's pretty voice, but it established that Annie wasn't just a cute and quirky love-interest but had talent and an artistic sensibility of her own.

"Der treue Hussar" in Paths of Glory. Maybe the most incongruous and at the same time most moving ending to a war movie I've ever seen.

I'll probably think of more.
Justin
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote