View Single Post
Old January 22 2013, 04:39 PM   #1320
Nagisa Furukawa
Commander

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

If there ever gets to be a point where the TV goes over Martin's writing while he's still writing... fuck that. I'd quit watching and avoid spoilers like the plague. If Martin dies, that's one thing. If Martin's in New Mexico toiling away at Book 7 while the TV series does its own ending... no. I want to experience this story ending through the books, not an adaptation. Not saying the producers shouldn't even do it; just that if they do, keep it away from me.

Takeru wrote: View Post
And Deckerd, if you haven't seen the show, watch it now! It's not perfect (neither are the novels btw) but it's a great adaptation. Don't let a few people on a message board talking about stuff stop you from experiencing it, even if you don't like it, you should find out for yourself
I'd say the first season is a very solid 9/10 that borders on 10/10 at times and, quibbles aside, is as good of an adaptation as you can imagine. The second season... is a lot more sketchy in quality, both as its own series and as an adaptation. Some elements, like Theon's ACoK arc, were adapted really well, even if they changed some things, while others, like Jon Snow's, they completely fucked up on.

The series is worth seeing, but it's really a cute novelty for me.

Kosh Naranek wrote: View Post
I gave her much more credit for cunning and game playing before Martin let us in her head. Then she became this paranoid small creature. I am still not sure how I feel about that.
I love it! One of the best things about the series is how completely wrongfooted first impressions can be. A lot of people when they read A Game of Thrones are given this impression of Cersei as a master manipulator, which then confuses people at how the pure chance of circumstances allowed Cersei to get away with killing Robert. But as we see later, Cersei truly is a mental incompetent. Inside her head, it's insane how completely and utterly wrong she interrupts everything and everyone, making enemies out of allies while sucking up to (and sucking) enemies. She fascinates me but Livia she is not.