View Single Post
Old January 22 2013, 05:26 AM   #22
AllStarEntprise
Fleet Captain

Re: 'Dark Frontier' Where the Borg went wrong?

MacLeod wrote: View Post
AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
So I'm still on my first watch through of VOY. After completing Dark Frontier I feel this is where the Borg went bad in Star Trek.

From the introduction of the Mary Sue ship Voyager destroying a Borg ship with a single photon torpedo.

To the Mary Sue and totally inappropriate Hansen family and their quest to study the Borg. How inept are the Borg to let a single ship stalk them for 3 years and even neglect the transporter singles of drones being beamed off and back, and Papa Hasen's on recon on to the cube. OH WAIT THEY'RE GENIUSES. That explains everything, and all their ingenuity.

The stupid frakking Queen, and her duality for 7 of 9's soul against Janeway.

To Tuvok being able to disable the shields for a Borg cube capable of destroying the entire cube.

There are more things I dislike about this episode but what do guys think?

At times it feels more like an episode of NuDoctor Who. Where the 11th Doctor can just talk the Daleks in to submission despite the Dalek's reputation as no BS killers. The Queen is at a Unimatrix with millions of Borgs, and yet she is overcome by Janeway talking to her when she could just order her drones to kill/assimilate Janeway.
Well to be fair the Doctor uses his wits more foten than some sort of weapon, and remember the Time lords are at least equal to the Daleks if not sperior. Whilst the Federation is supposedly weaker than the Borg.
Please correct if I am wrong (thats not sarcasm that's a genuine request for reproach) but doesn't Mary Sue and Gary Stu define a wish fulfillment character, tropes of themes? All too often Voyager and her 150 member crew are written as the "little engine" that could.

Get their ship commandeered and abandoned on a remote world by the Kazon. Pssh whatever we'll get it back no problem. Great thing Tom Paris was flying in one of those oh so durable shuttlecrafts and it was still warp capable after getting blasted by Kazon Raiders.

Those street gang thugs didn't know who they were messing with. YO!

The Borg needed a weapon to combat Specied 8472. Despite the Borg's ability to adapt to what it enocunters it was the VOY crew who created the nanoprobe weapon. Not the Borg who had millions of casualties and hadn't thought to create such a weapon.

But the VOY crew has got you playa!

Meet Species 8472 again and talk them into submission before they can carry out their attack on Earth. This known dimensional hopping race that can slaughter Borg cubes with a minimal efforts is talked out of attack Earth while in humanoid form. When once again they could've launched an attack and destroyed VOY. It's not like VOY has infinite amount of torpedos. What did they have, about 3 dozen photon only?

See not even the "we make art with Borg bodies", Species 8472 can overcome the VOY crew dawg. Holla back

And finally Dark Frontier and how the VOY crew tactically overpowers, outsmart and outrun the most powerful force in the universe.

Am I the only one who remembers when people spoke about the Borg like this?

Last edited by AllStarEntprise; January 22 2013 at 05:56 AM.
AllStarEntprise is online now   Reply With Quote