Thread: Going Veggie
View Single Post
Old January 22 2013, 12:39 AM   #155
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Re: Going Veggie

^I like "perfumed" foods too. My mother makes a lot of homemade jams and jellies, and my favorite by far is her strawberry lavender jam. It's AMAZING! Though the sangria jelly she made this summer is a close second! I also love Turkish Delights. I grew up in a state famous for apples, and there is a company called Aplets & Cotlets that makes their own unique variety of Turkish Delight. The company was founded by two middle eastern immigrants (I'm assuming here, I know they were immigrants but I could not find their country of origin) who moved to Washington State to farm. They grew apricots, apples, and tree nuts. Applets & Cotlets are basically apricot and apple Turkish delights with chopped walnuts, and they're amazing. My mother, sister, and I went to their tiny little factory one year, situated in the little town by their orchards and where they give little factory tours. It was actually a lot of fun, and the fresh sweets were mind-blowingly good!

Anyway, enough being all "This post brought to you by our sponsors..."

I am trying to take J's motivation to heart and improve my own diet. I already eat really healthy in general, and I actually eat vegetarian by default. I don't exclude meat because, as a type 1 diabetic, the options I have for what will affect my blood sugar are limited enough already, and I found complete vegetarianism just too limiting (though I did do it for several years). I just like my once a year buffalo jerky too much! I hardly ever eat it, though.

I should get more variety, though. I sometimes make great soups, but usually I just eat the same thing every day: cup of cottage cheese, piece of fruit if my blood sugar is low enough, salad, 1/4 cup of mixed nuts. Yesterday, though, I tried something new (though not veggie). I baked a catfish fillet and steamed some broccoli and those tiny, multicolored potatoes. I can't believe how easy and delicious the fish was, and so much less messy than cooking meat!

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote