View Single Post
Old January 21 2013, 11:55 PM   #28
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Re: Did Vulcan space have a name?

Christopher wrote: View Post
The Vulcans of Enterprise were very much like Cold War-era America -- a society that didn't claim other nations as its territory, yet wielded a strong, far-reaching, paternalistic influence over them in the belief that it was serving their best interests as well as its own. The Vulcan High Command no doubt saw its role as a peacekeeping one, and I think we can safely speculate that the High Command's military presence in this region was the main thing keeping Klingon territory from overrunning Earth in the 21st and early 22nd centuries. But their protection could be heavyhanded and often condescending.
Very keen observation.

Christopher wrote: View Post
Anyway, the books' "Confederacy of Vulcan" is no doubt a nod to the "Planetary Confederation of 40 Eridani" from Franz Joseph's Star Fleet Technical Manual. They also refer to "The United Planets of Tellar" as a nod to the SFTM's "United Planets of 61 Cygni."
Ah, I didn't get the reference. Pretty neat.

Wasn't the name "Whole Vulcan" used in Spock's World? I have only a copy in Italian (where it's mentioned as the "Intero Vulcano"), but it's hard to decide if they are talking about the actual name or the political entity of just speaking in general terms: they say something like "on behalf of the Whole Vulcan etc", but capitalized words are used. Maybe it's clearer in the original English.

Last edited by iguana_tonante; January 22 2013 at 12:51 AM.
iguana_tonante is offline   Reply With Quote