View Single Post
Old January 21 2013, 06:07 AM   #184
Avro Arrow
Fleet Captain

Re: TNG: The Body Electric by David Mack Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Christopher wrote: View Post
Let me make this very clear: I am not talking about my own opinion on the matter. I am evaluating what I believe the crew of Voyager would think about the matter. It is possible to discuss other people's beliefs and motivations without holding those beliefs or motivations oneself. As a writer, I routinely evaluate the behavior and choices of a variety of characters, many of whose actions and beliefs I personally do not share. And that's what I'm doing here -- thinking about the motivations of the characters in the episode the same way I'd think about them if I were writing the story myself. I'm analyzing the characters' actions and choices, not judging or endorsing them.
OK, fair enough.

Markonian wrote: View Post
Imho, there is to much fuss about the Tuvix issue. It is a matter of simple mathematics:

You toss one capable officer and get two capable officers in return. I'd call that a bargain. The needs of the many.
I know it's hard to tell online... but this is a joke, right?

Brit wrote: View Post
If you think about it, there was never any other way for the episode to end. Tim Russ and Ethan Phillips had contracts, Tom Wright did not, but it is the writer’s job to make the audience blind to that fact.
Well, it would have been nice if they had found a way to write it that didn't depict a Starfleet captain as a murderer.

Mage wrote: View Post
rahullak wrote: View Post
So all this about Tuvix started out because of Janeway's morally questionable decisions, which in turn came up because Q told Wesley to "go bother Picard" rather than Janeway. Right?
Yes, it does seem some people forgot this topic is about a David Mack TNG novel, not about Voyager. I know topics can be derailed sometimes, but c'mon guys.....
Sorry. I quite enjoyed The Body Electric, although I did have a bit of a problem with the conclusion to the crisis. And unlike some other posters upthread, I really enjoyed the prologue/epilogue structure. Sure, I would like to know what Data's doing next, but presenting Lal's resurrection as a mirror image of her death was damn near perfect, and I found the ending very emotionally satisfying.
Avro Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote